Prior to 1929, in the year 1919, Elder Mack Miller and a small group of Saints held worship services in a tent on Hickory Street, in Orange, NJ, then to a small storefront at 156 Parrow St., in Orange. In 1925, the late Overseer J. E. Bryant re-located this flock to 167 Parrow Street.
However, in 1929, under the leadership direction of Church of God in Christ founder; the Honorable Bishop C. H. Mason appointed A.J. Reid as pastor of the church and Overseer in the state of New Jersey. It is at this juncture that Bishop Reid, given the growth of the membership and ministries, re-located to 69 Oakwood Avenue and the membership re-named the church “Reid Temple, Church of God in Christ” In 1966, Reid Temple re-located to 154 North Oraton Parkway, East Orange, NJ.
From 1929 to the present, many members of Reid Temple moved into national and International positions:
Overseer Andrew J. Reid, (1929, appointed by Bishop Charles Harrison Mason)
Elder James O. Patterson, (1948, pastor, NRT, then, consecrated to the office of National Bishop, in 1952)
Elder DeWitt A. Burton, (1955, pastor, NRT, then consecrated to the office of National Bishop, in 1964 and served as General Secretary) NRT re-located to 154 No. Oraton Parkway, East Orange, NJ in 1966.
Elder John L. Bazemore, (1971, pastor, NRT)
Elder Walter E. Gorham, (1982, pastor, NRT)
Elder John L. Bazemore, (1997, pastor, NRT)
Elder William T. Cahoon, (1999, pastor, NRT, appointed by the former and now deceased Presiding Bishop Chandler D. Owens to the office of Jurisdictional Bishop in 1993)
Mother Lula Cox founded the Lula Cox Home in 1941
Mother A. L. Pennington Bailey (State and International Supervisor of Women, under Bishop J.E. Bryant)
Mother Johnnie Reid (Dist. Missionary and wife of Bishop A. J. Reid)
Mother Lucille Bazemore (former wife of Pastor Bazemore, State Supervisor, presently International Senior Services Coordinator)
Mother Olive Brown, former NRT Admin. Assist., presently, State Supervisor, 1st Jurisdiction and International Chair Women’s Convention)